Chronic kidney failure terminal cat disease stages III-IV: What to do to help our friend, complete pet-food list, home-prepared food and some recipes, supplements needed to counteract metabolic acidosis and reduce symptoms.
© Copyright – This article is the property of the Elicats.com site – the author forbids its reproduction and copy without explicit authorization –
End Stage Feline Kidney Disease How to help the cat
The International Renal Interest Society (IRIS) CLASSES chronic renal failure in cats in four stages : the third and fourth stages are considered final and terminal stages of the disease, the kidneys are very compromised and can no longer filter toxins.
Stage III : the symptoms are: loss of appetite , dehydration, increased amount of urine produced, increased thirst, weight loss, pile hair, the cat is more prone to develop urinary infections, the animal is lethargic and anemic .
Stage III : blood values and the SDMA test
Creatinine 251 – 440 micromol / l (2.9 – 5.0 mg / dl) Moderately insufficient
SDMA test result> 45 μg / dl
Stage IV – to the symptoms described above are added the typical symptoms of uremia: uremic gastritis , stomatitis , phosphorus levels are high, metabolic acidosis takes over.
Stage IV : blood values and the SDMA test
Creatinine> 440 micromol / l (> 5.0 mg / dl) Seriously insufficient
Azotemia: very high
SDMA test result> 45 μg / dl
Severe hypertension ≥180
Stages of kidney failure in cats
(Supplements to discuss with the veterinarian and to be administered in cycles)
Chronic terminal kidney failure cat
- Mycotherapy: Cordyceps
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- High phosphorus: evaluate the integration of a phosphorus chelator or Pronefra . PRONEFRA is highly palatable and is based on the association of 5 components: – calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate which, by binding to the intestinal phosphorus introduced with the food, decrease its availability.
- Heel Protocol ➡ Specific and supportive for animals suffering from chronic renal failure , the 3 Compositums support residual renal function, improve the appetite and the general well-being of the animal: Ubichinon Compositum (eliminates enzymatic dysfunctions) – Coenzyme Compositum (stimulates the enzymatic functions) – Solidago Compositum us vet. (therapeutic of renal function and organ damage).
- Control of enteric nitrogenous waste with the administration of Probinul neutro/ Azodyl for further information go to the dedicated page.
- Management of dehydration: the animals in stage III / IV have a reduced ability to concentrate urine therefore it is important to avoid dehydration, if the cat does not strain proceed with infusions under the skin, it is necessary to entice the cat to drink and also add water to the pet – wet food, you can place several bowls of fresh water in different parts of the house. If it is not possible to carry out infusions, help the cat by administering about 4-5 syringes (without a needle) of 5 ml of Fiuggi water.
Chronic terminal kidney failure cat
The food should preferably be moist, NO DRY . It is possible to orientate oneself towards a wet with a reduced intake of sodium and phosphorus and with raw proteins around 6% – 7% and renal food
To lighten the work of the kidneys, vaccinations, nephrotoxic drugs and pet food with preservatives and chemical additives must be avoided.
Food for cats with kidney disease
In wet pet food, see the percentage of crude protein that is an accurate index of the amount of protein.
* The order of pet food is purely coincidental
Biopur Vet Disorders of the kidneys is a product of high quality and certified biological origin, the meats used in fact derive only from animals from organic farming that do not undergo exhausting transports, since the journeys made are short and are limited to the region where the Biopur biological factors: Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany.
- high energy density product;
- does not contain fillers, which can be harmful to your cat’s health ;
- highly digestible and assimilable product, with specific formula for the treatment of renal diseases;
- does not contain conversants, dyes or flavorings and flavor enhancers, often used to make the food more pleasant;
- absence of nitrites which cause the partial destruction of proteins, mineral salts and vitamins: the product fully satisfies the nutritional requirements.
For the production of Biopur Vet Pathologies of the kidneys only organic foods, suitable for human consumption, certified BIO and PETA (human grade food) are used
- crude protein 8%;
- raw fat 5%;
- fibers 1%;
- flock ash 2%;
- humidity 76%;
- calcium 0.15%;
- 1.1% essential fatty acids;
- 0.09% sodium.
- Game as animal protein source
- Contains easily digestible and assimilable proteins
- Recipe without cereals
- It is integrated with dried extracts of Melissa and Valeriana inserted after cooking
- Contains no added dyes or preservatives
FROM GRAIN Bionutrizione cat with meat different fruits and vegetables are the tastes formulated for sterilized cats designed for weight control, foods with limited phosphorus content to help the cat’s renal system with a% of protein ranging from 5.5% to 7%.
- CHICKEN WITH ROSEMARY ADDITION
- BEEF WITH THE ADDITION OF ARTICHOKE LEAVES
- SALMON WITH THE ADDITION OF GINKGO BILOBA
- SALMON HEALED WITH THE ADDITION OF OLIVES
- QUAIL WITH TARASSACO ADDITION
- TUNTO WITH THE ADDITION OF ROSEMARY AND OLIVES
- TROUT WITH ADDITION OF FOGLIOLINE DI TIGLIO
- QUICK WITH THE ADDITION OF BLUEBERRY – SENIOR CAT FROM THE NINE YEARS OF LIFE *
If you really can’t avoid the dry food … CHOICE FOR:
Monge VetSolution Renal has been formulated for sensitive cats in order to promote kidney health and function. Contain, SOD (Super Oxide Dismutase) to prevent oxidative stress, XOS (Xylo-oligosaccharides) to preserve intestinal microbiota. Croquettes are coated with a Fit-aroma that provides a healthy and tasty approach to kidney failure. The Fit-aroma contains the polyphenols of green tea or epigallocatechin gallate (Egcg). This last has a strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory property and favors the elimination of nephrotoxicity through the suppression of leukocytes and the decrease of the systemic inflammatory action caused by oxidative stress. Egcg significantly reduces renal hypertension and promotes tissue regeneration.
FORZA10 Renal Active is a special, complete and balanced dietetic food formulated by the SANYpet Research and Development Department for adult cats for the support of renal function in cases of chronic renal failure.
- support of renal function in cases of chronic renal failure or temporary renal insufficiency
- support of cardiac function in cases of chronic heart failure
- reduction of intolerances to ingredients and nutrients
- food that combines nutritional components selected for characteristics such as high digestibility and the properties of specific botanical substances.
- Low concentration of phosphorus and reduced protein content, but of high quality (fish protein hydrolysates, potato protein hydrolysates).
- Low sodium concentration and increased K / Na ratio
- Precious added botanical substances such as, Lespedeza, Pilosella, Uva Ursi, Mirtillo and Tarassaco.
The natural substances, in order not to be largely destroyed by the high temperatures of the extruder as would normally be the case, are cold processed and placed in a special heart-shaped tablet. Not undergoing any heat treatment, they remain completely unaffected. Omega3 / 6 ratio of 1: 3
Here ends the list of the COMPLETE PET-FOOD – If instead you are oriented towards the purchase of complementary wet food (without vitamins and minerals etc) or if you prefer to prepare food at home you must supplement the diet with specific products such as:
Balanced dietary supplementary renal cat
Perfect as a supplement for raw feeding (BARF) and cooked meat. It is excellent for renal diets as it contains no phosphorus, meaning meals can be prepared in a low-phosphorus way. If you have decided to provide your cat with a BARF diet, it is not always easy to ensure that all their nutritional needs are met. Thanks to Felini Renal,
it is now very simple: in order to provide your cat with all essential vitamins, minerals and trace elements, simple add one level measuring spoon of powder to 80g fresh meat. The measuring spoon is included and can be found inside the tub, making it even easier! Felini Renal is hypoallergenic and free from fillers. It is also ideal for cats with allergies and intolerances. The powder comes in a tub that can be opened and closed quickly and safely, keeping the supplement dry and avoiding clumping.
or Vet Integra Renal
If the cat does not eat malnutrition must be avoided, Kattovit NIERE, a specific liquid meat for cats with kidney disease Kattovit NIERE / Renal-Drink
For cats with impaired kidney function it is important that sufficient liquid is absorbed, to support the kidney function. It’s a jungle out there, but preparation with the finest meat pieces stimulate Kattovit KIDNEY/renal drinks the pleasure.
Cat with HIGH Creatinine What to do to lower it
What are the natural treatments, the phytotherapies to lower the levels of creatinine?
nettle has haemostatic properties (used to combat anaemia and bleeding), hypoglycemic, depurative, diuretic.
Cynara scolymus L. (Artichoke) is a diuretic and hepato-protector, it favours the depurative processes of the organism, it lowers the azotemia because it favours the elimination of the urea and the uric acids through the stimulation of the hepatic transformation of molecules of nitrogen imperfectly elaborated by the liver, it lowers the cholesterol and the glycaemia. It contains high levels of antioxidants, including quercetin, rutin, cynarin, silymarin, improves digestion when there is a hepatic dysfunction and helps in case of constipation.
Astragalus CKD cats
Astragalus is one of the most widely used herbs to treat chronic renal failure, slows the progression of renal disease, acts as a mild diuretic and reduces creatinine levels. For more information go to the dedicated page.
- ASTRAGALUS (Astragalus membranaceus) roots MOTHER TINCTURE CONCENTRATED EXTRACT 1:10. 100% NATURAL, ALCOHOL AND SUGAR FREE. ALSO SUITABLE FOR PREGNANT WOMEN AND CHILDREN. NOTIFIED TO THE ITALIAN MINISTRY OF HEALTH. MADE IN ITALY.
- A NATURAL AID: ASTRAGALUS supplement. It supports a tonic, adaptogenic activity and maintains the body’s natural barriers. 40 drops (2 ml) contain 200 mg of ASTRAGALUS extract.
- BIOALMA – A Natural Way of Life: We respect and love Nature, that’s why all our supplements are Vegan and contain no artificial ingredients. We believe in the importance of guaranteeing quality and safety, so we carefully select the raw materials, manufacture the products in Italy, and register them with the Ministry of Health.
THE CONTENT ON THIS WEBSITE IS TO BE USED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE CONTENT IS IN NO CASE TO BE USED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR ADVICE FROM VETERINARIANS, NOR IS IT INTENDED TO BE RELIED UPON BY ANY PERSON OR ENTITY FOR PURPOSES OF MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS OR TREATMENT . IN NO CASE CAN BE USED AS A PRESCRIPTION OF A TREATMENT OR REPLACE A SPECIALIST EXAMINATION OR THE DIRECT RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR VETERINARIAN/DOCTOR
Copyright (c) Elicats.com – All rights reserved. Prohibited the partial copy. *We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
Visit elicats.it Italian language