How to give subcutaneous fluids to your cat Intravenous drip in cat renal failure. Fluid therapy is the administration of fluids to the dog or cat intravenously, intraperitoneally, subcutaneously or orally.
- 1 How to give subcutaneous fluids to your cat
- 2 Cat under skin drip what to know
- 2.1 How to give the cat an IV, it is possible to proceed in 2 ways:
- 2.2 Ringer’s lactated cat side effects
- 2.3 Dehydrated cat drip
- 2.4 When to do the infusions under the skin and when to do the intravenous
- 3 How many ml of saline or lactated Ringer’s for the cat?
- 4 Intravenous drip cat dog what to know
- 5 Intravenous drip for cat renal failure What I recommend
How to give subcutaneous fluids to your cat
Before deciding for a course of Fluidotherapy for the cat it is necessary to ask all the information to the veterinarian, who will decide on the basis of the analyzes made, the times, methods and quantity of liquids and not least if it is preferable to infuse lactated or physiological Ringer. .
DO NOT perform the syringe technique without the consent of your veterinarian
INFUSE THE FLUIDS
VERY SLOWLY ESPECIALLY IF YOU APPLY THE SYRINGE METHOD!
The fluid therapy in the cat and the dog is carried out in case of
- Acid-base metabolic impairments
- During and after surgery
- Chronic renal failure in cats and dogs
How to make a cat subcutaneous drip
Here are some indications, ask your veterinarian on times, times, ml to be infused and methods of execution.
- Ongoing mycosis or dermatitis
- Heart disease
- Neurological diseases
- Blood clotting disorders
- Liver disease
Cat under skin drip what to know
How to give a cat with kidney failure infusions
- It is not necessary to “disinfect” the skin with alcohol before inserting the needle
- Always insert the needle parallel to the spine
- Most cats and dogs tolerate the administration of fluids, the Lactated Ringer should be warmed slightly in a water bath
- Do not be alarmed if during the infusion a “lump” forms under the skin, this lump resorbs over the next 12 hours, and tends to descend into the foreleg, make sure it is totally absorbed before proceeding with the next infusion. Contact the veterinarian who will advise you on the frequency.
- If you accidentally get some air, don’t be afraid, it’s not dangerous; it just creates a lot of annoyance.
- The needles do not have to be very big buy green or blue butterfly needles, to be preferred brand TERUMO.
- After a very long cycle of hypodermoclysis, touch the skin to check for hard lumps, if the animal reacts with discomfort during our manipulation it is likely that the tissue is very inflamed, call the veterinarian and suspend the drips.
- Sometimes it happens that some blood may come out don’t worry, be careful when you inject next time and change the injection site.
How to give the cat an IV, it is possible to proceed in 2 ways:
- Bottle of saline or lactated Ringer’s
- Nr 1 infusion valve, used to regulate the flow of the liquid
- Hypodermoclysis needles , if you buy very fine needles, the liquid will come out very slowly
If you are looking for information regarding syringe fluid therapy, here is the procedure
Fluid therapy syringe method (I do not recommend this method, it can be dangerous if you don’t know how to proceed)
- Butterfly needles (green or blue color possibly Terumo 23G brand)
- 60 ml syringes with Luer Lock connection
The infusions for cat renal insufficiency – THE METHOD WITH SYRINGE
- Butterfly needles 23G
- STERILE SYRINGES WITH 30ml/60 ml LUER LOCK ATTACHMENT
- Saline solution or lactated Ringer’s (your vet will give you directions)
- Some normal needles such as 19G to take the sodium / ringer solution from the bottle
Ringer’s lactated cat side effects
Contraindications Ringer’s lactate for veterinary use
Like any drug, fluids can be dangerous for the life of the cat , complications such as edema and respiratory failure, coagulopathies, electrolyte disturbances, acid-base disorders can occur. INFUSE FLUIDS ALWAYS VERY SLOWLY ESPECIALLY IF YOU APPLY THE SYRINGE METHOD!
- Do not perform hypodermoclysis immediately after applying spot-on pesticides or other topical drugs (scruff area)
- If the cat is agitated it is preferable not to subject it to further stress, some natural remedies for stress or anxiety or the Pet Remedy may be useful and immediately afterwards it would be good to use the Rescue Remedy.
- Check that the skin is not very thin (especially in older dogs or cats ), the risk of skin irritation is greater
- Check the response of the animal and write down the quantity administered in a diary, remember that a few ml of fluids are useless, the dog and cat get unnecessary stress.
- Too many fluids, on the other hand, can be reabsorbed after many days and also create subcutaneous inflammation
Dehydrated cat drip
Before making the infusion and understanding if the cat is dehydrated : lift the pet’s lip and let your fingers run along its gums. If he is well hydrated, his gums will be slippery and moist to the touch. If the finger sticks to the gums because they are dry or sticky, then the cat is dehydrated.
Skin turgor test
Gently lift the skin at the base of the neck (scruff). The cat’s skin must immediately return to “position” (with the exception of overweight cats and cats with very thin skin, typical of older cats). In the article ” Dehydrated cat oral rehydration Skin turgor test ” you can view the video of how the Skin turgor test is performed.
If the cat is not dehydrated, the eyeballs should protrude slightly from their sockets.
When to do the infusions under the skin and when to do the intravenous
The subcutaneous fluids can help when there is mild dehydration or steps 2-3 of ‘chronic renal failure . During the infusion of fluids under the skin, a “hump” of fluid will form which will be reabsorbed within a few hours.
In case of severe dehydration
In case of severe dehydration, shock and last stage renal disease it is necessary to resort to the intravenous catheter (IV), in this case hospitalization is recommended, the animal remains under observation and is monitored.
How many ml of saline or lactated Ringer’s for the cat?
Do not search on the web or in the various forums, only the vet will have to establish the quantity of liquids and frequency, each animal is different from the other!
When it is not possible to give the cat under the skin but it is necessary to hydrate it
Stage III / IV animals have a Reduced ability to concentrate urine (urine SPECIFIC weight Less than 1020 value) therefore it is important to AVOID dehydration, if it is not possible to give the cat an infusion because it is stressed, it is necessary to encourage the cat to drink and add water to wet food , it is also recommended to place several bowls of fresh water in different parts of the house, alternatively to administer about 4-5 syringes of 5 ml of Fiuggi water per day. Cat fountains are very useful .
Why should we make the cat drink Fiuggi water?
(Oral hydration is always preferable, to be avoided in case of gastritis / vomiting / uremic gastritis)
Water and hydration are essential in managing kidney failure, good hydration is the key to helping cats. Purchase cat drinking fountains. Give the cat syringes of Fiuggi water during the day Scientific studies confirm the bene ﬁ ts of Acqua Fiuggi against kidney diseases, research shows that Acqua Fiuggi reduces the levels of uric acid in the blood.
If it is not possible for you to give Fiuggi water, you can revitalize and purify the water with EM CERAMIC TUBES
Intravenous drip cat dog what to know
Cat dog intravenous drip in kidney disease allows you to quickly hydrate the animal and detoxify it from waste and lower the azotemia and creatinine values, this treatment involves the intravenous insertion of a cannula (intravenous catheter). However, this practice is not without complications, the most common are phlebitis, infections, transfer of liquids, to avoid this the catheter must be changed every 3 days.
Some contraindications (evaluate risk / benefit)
- Anemia, the body may suffer from heart failure / pulmonary edema to compensate for the reduced supply of oxygen (reduced red blood cells). Anemia may worsen.
- Heart failure
- Hepatic fibrosis
Tips: Not all cats with kidney failure can receive fluids.
Intravenous drip for cat renal failure What I recommend
If the cat is in the terminal stage of chronic renal failure and is in full uremic crisis, only hospitalization and infusions in the vein will help him! the infusions under the skin in the course of chronic renal failure at an advanced stage and with very high Bun and Crea values will not be able to help him in the detoxification process. It may seem strange to you but I am against subcutaneous drips and, for many cats they cause physical and metabolic stress, and stress as PNEI teaches us only leads to weakening of the immune system; I would evaluate a cycle of infusions under the skin when the urine is about 4 times a day and very abundant and / or when the cat is unable to compensate for the outputs by drinking. Try placing different bowls of fresh water in different places in the house or you can use this trick of mine: syringes of Fiuggi water about 5/6 during the day. The infusions under the skin of physiological (no ringer which can cause electrolyte alterations) serve only to hydrate THEY ARE NOT USEFUL IN CHECKING THE VALUES OF BUN AND CREA. Personal Considerations: The preferential route is that of oral hydration. To detoxify the animal, if there is still minimal renal function in Stage IV, it is necessary to resort to fluid therapy in a vein. Attention: if the cat is elderly and has found its balance in the disease, avoid the subcutis, electrolyte and heart failure can occur. ❤ Fragile elderly hairy patients have the same pathologies as us .. Problems with digestion, heart, liver, kidneys etc. The heart is always connected to the kidney and vice versa, it is called cardio-renal syndrome.